13 Years of Homeschool Check In

Posted this on Facebook...

"Not sure why I'm sharing, lol, but in case it is interesting to anyone else... I used to think you had to choose to do either public school or home school and I stressed over choosing between the two. Well, my kids have been to public and homeschool at various times- one semester here, one there, one kid here, one kid there- pretty much all over the place for last 13 years. ðŸĪŠ


As my oldest graduates this year, I was curious how much school each kid has ended up doing at home. So I added it up...

Semesters homeschooled-
Matt 13/26
Katie 9/22
Ally 9/18
Eliza 7/14
Sam 4/10
Benson 2/2

It added up to be a lot more than I realized! If you are good at math, that's over half of them doing at least half at home. They are all doing really well so far, so I guess between me and my partner, the public school, it is all balancing out. 🙃🙂 Mostly they are all still alive and don't hate learning 🙌 ðŸ’Ŋ.

Most of our schooling choices have been made for health/mental health reasons, either the kids' or mine. Academics are important, but it is hard to learn (or teach) if you aren't okay. So we've had to find a balance and be flexible. By the grace of God, it is working for us so far. 🙏 Here's hoping my partner the public school can take it all from here, though. We are eager to share dynamic Benson with the system. ;)

Anywho, just throwing this out there in case all or nothing doesn't fit your fam well. Maybe there is a bischooling best of both worlds for you too. "

Me figuring out of each kid's academic history ... it was complicated and they had to help me remember some of the fuzzy years, haha.



(Technically Katie has had the fewest home school years, as some of her homeschool counted years were homeschool 2 days per week/private school 3 days at Spring Baptist Academy.)